The Catholic Transcript

Title: The Catholic Transcript
About: The Catholic Transcript traces its roots back to 1829 when the first weekly Catholic newspaper appeared in Connecticut, The Catholic Press. In 1896, Bishop Michael Tierney recognized the need for the Diocese of Hartford to have an official channel of communications with Connecticut’s growing Catholic population. In April 1896, the Diocese of Hartford purchased The Connecticut Catholic Publishing Co. The Connecticut Catholic became the official weekly newspaper of the Diocese of Hartford. In April of 1898, the name of the newspaper was changed from The Connecticut Catholic to The Catholic Transcript.
Available online: 6 August 1925 - 29 December 1978 (1,752 issues, 25,440 pages)